2005-04-21

The first thing I thought of this morning....

The very first thing I thought of this morning when I woke up was....

about this old man selling tissues at the bottom of the stairs that links lido to wheelock place.

See, what made this old man stand out from all the other tissue sellers was that he was indeed in need of the money.
He had an amputated left leg. As in the whole left leg gone, and his right leg is browning and on the way on becoming black. Gangrine, was the first thing that came to my mind after thinking about him.
I know I should've given him all my dinner money (which was only $10) but I'd given him $2 instead.

He looked particularly happy that mabelline and I could converse in dialect with him. After asking over his health, I only took one tissue pack from him coz I needed it (still haven't used it, but i'll use it with all knowing I bought it from a very special person).

What kept this old man in my mind, was the strength he had, to remain cheerful and so positive about life, to make a living out of trying to sell tissue packs to passerbys who don't give him so much of a second glance. It's a good thing I took one really good look at this old man. He just stood out from the rest, and this little voice telling me "give him some money, he really needs it".

I dunno.. maybe if you're passing by the same walkway as I am today, or if you have the time, go on down there, and give this old man some money too. I know, perhaps he's got lots of money now with people like me and mabelline giving him $2.. but I guess he needs a bit more money. What if he has a wife to look after too? Or his kids dumped their own kids with him? Okay, i doubt so, but what if?


And if any doctors are reading this, maybe you could take a better look at his remaining right leg... it looks horrid to me...


This old man really gave more meaning to the saying "There's more to life worth living for than to sit and wallow all day in misery", just look at him..! He's prolly over 60, has an amputated leg, but still stands there all day long, smiling at passerbys and pleaing with them to buy his tissue packs, just trying to make a small living for himself. I bet he's gone through so much depression, it hurts even more than a major break up with a boyfriend. Just watching him smile and laugh, if only a little, gave me just enough to know that even if he didn't make enough today, he'll try again tomorrow..




Anyway, that's all for this morning...
Oh thanks to amanda, i have that bloody chinese song (CHINESE AT THAT!) stuck in my head... great.



gotta go do protocol..
bye!